Friday 26 October 2007

Interview with legendary boxing trainer Tommy Thompson by Rocky Sondhi


Q: Tommy can you please give a brief history of your boxing background.

A: I started boxing at the age of 7 at the YMCA here in Nottingham. At the age of 11 I joined the Sneinton Amateur Boxing Club where I improved steadily. While at Sneinton I boxed in 69 contests and won 42 of those. I signed to go professional shortly before my 18th birthday. My last amateur contest was a few weeks after signing but I failed the medical examination due to concerns about my eye-sight, which effectively destroyed all my hopes of becoming a professional boxer at the age of just 18.
At that point I was asking myself “What next?”
My coach at the time at Sneinton suggested that I should help coach the youngsters. Following that I took several coaching courses before becoming Nottingham’s only senior ABA coach graduating from Crystal Palace.

Q: Tommy can you tell me about some of the high-profile boxers that you have trained?

A: Kirkland and Tony Laing, who both went on to become British champions. Tony Sibson who challenged for the World Title, Johnny Nelson who is still the World Champion. Esham Pickering, Junior Whitter and Carl Greaves but to name a few. Additionally, I also worked with Prince Naseem.

Q: How did your relationship with Brendan Ingle develop?

A: I began taking boxers up to Brendan in the early 80’s and still continue to do so. I am also a boxing talent scout for Brendan throughout the East Midlands. I have a lot of respect for Brendan and admire him for his work in the world of boxing and to this day we remain close friends.

Q: Tommy apart from the boxing coaching is there anything else you’re working on or developing?

A: I am also a qualified SAQ coach and have completed a diploma on the subject. ( SAQ stands for Speed, Agility and Quickness ). This allows me to apply modern principles from sports science in boxing. I find it interesting applying modern ideas from other sports into boxing.

Q: Tommy can you tell me a little about the tvp™ coaching method and what makes it stand out from any of the other instructor training methods?

A: Well can I just point out that it is not an instructor’s method but a coaching method which you can apply to any combat sport not just boxing. (tvp™ stands for Technique, Versatility & Predictability)

Q: So Tommy can you tell me what the tvp™ method has to offer that other training concepts don’t?

A: The three main things that puts tvp™ apart from the other training methods , books, video’s etc is that it contains the 3 most important ingredients for training and coaching high performance in combat athletes which are versatility, originality and creativity. The method looks to get the individual fulfilling their potential and basically training in a way which suits their body type and mentality. The method is also quite challenging because it encourages the individual to explore creativity and do things differently.

Q: Tommy you have been coaching me now for 7 years, what are the main characteristics that kept your belief in me?

A: Rocky from day 1 you have shown me just what is needed by boxers and martial artists today, A genuine willingness to learn and a great attitude. When we talk I find your understanding of the boxing and the coaching truly outstanding. I wish I had worked with you from 16 i..e when you started the martial arts as I think you would have made it professionally.

Q: Thanks, I wish I had as well, but that’s another story. Tommy, every time you mention training or working with a boxer you keep using the term coaching not instructing, could you please explain the difference.

A: Ok sure, instructing means just what the name suggests, giving a set of orders without really taking into consideration the needs of the boxer or martial artist to improve. Coaching, on the other hand, means setting a training programme , or format, to fit the needs of the individual, or if training a group, a formula that is suitable for all.

Q: Tommy, you mentioned earlier that you still work closely with Brendan Ingle. There has been criticism that Brendan trains all his boxers the same way.

A: Rocky, nothing could be further from the truth. When I first met Brendan back in the 80’s I did think the same and was one of his biggest critics but I’ve since learnt that this is untrue.

What he has done, and quite brilliantly I think, is he lays down a template for all his boxers to follow and from that basis they find the space to explore and to become good boxers with their own style. From the untrained eye they may all look the same but they are definitely not the same. Look at Herol Graham or Nazeem Hamed, Johnny Nelson or Ryan Rhodes - their individuality shows through in the styles in which they compete.

Q: Tommy, who were your mentors when you first started out in the coaching game?

A: There have been 4 men in the whole country that I can honestly say have a better knowledge of the boxing game than any others.

Firstly, Brendan Ingle, then there is Kevin Hickey who was national coach to the England team from 1973 until 1990. He has an awesome knowledge of the game. Brian Hinckley, who is an advanced coach in Derbyshire, and last but not least, Derrick Groombridge who is an advanced coach from Bingham, Nottinghamshire. I owe my love of this sport to these 4 men.

Q. What are your observations of the combat sports area today and what do you feel we have to offer this area with our methods?

A. There are a lot of people training and wanting to do well in the combat sports, but I feel there are too many people looking for quick fixes. They want to to learn a few tricks and feel that they have learned all there is to learn. I feel there is a lack of depth in understanding techniques and the factors that drive human performance.

The tvp™ Institute is geared towards building depth in understanding and encouraging people to go beyond a style – to basically treat their body as one, and make any technique work for them in an appropriate way – one body, no style!

Q: Finally Tommy, What are your plans for the future?

A: Well Rocky, with yourself we’ve got the regular workshops at the tvp™ Institute. I’m writing for Combat and Fighter Magazines. I am also working with more martial artists, working on new boxing and coaching techniques that can be applied to all combat sports.

Thanks Tommy and best of luck in the future – you deserve it.

(“tvp™ - Comprehensive Boxing Concepts” and the DVD "Beginning Boxing' by Rocky Sondhi and Tommy Thompson are available from http://www.summersdale.com/, priced £19.99. Rocky and Tommy are also available for workshops, consultations and private sessions on the above number. tvp™ boxing Certificated coaching qualification programmes are run regularly at the tvp™ Institute – call the above number or 07771928245 for details)








No comments: